Other useful information
- The London Energy Transformation Initiative (LETI) is a group of engineers, architects, and contractors. The group’s purpose is to support the work towards a net zero future.
- They have created a Climate Emergency Guide based on their experience. This guide shows examples of best practice around retrofit and ways to deliver large energy reductions
- Access the retrofit guide
A consultancy firm that specialises in low energy buildings. They have produced free resources to help explain retrofit improvements:
- The “Climate Change Starts at Home” YouTube series. This provides short videos that cover retrofit basics, such as:
- The value of External Wall Insulation compared to Internal Wall Insulation,
- A review of the Q Bot system,
- The basics of ventilation.
- They also produced a free webinar that covers retrofit building standards.
Find the right contractors:
Which? Trusted Trader Scheme:
- A scheme run by Which? That recognise reputable traders
- Traders must pass an assessment to be endorsed
- Local traders, where possible
- Look out for the ‘Trusted Trader’ logo
- More information on the Which? Trusted Trader Scheme.
Buy with Confidence search engine
- All businesses are approved by Trading Standards
- Independently run by the local authority Trading Standards department
- Not for profit and any funds received allow the continuation, development and promotion of the scheme
- More information on the Buy with Confidence search engine.
Warm Home Discount
If you are a pensioner or on a low income, you may be able to get the Warm Home Discount. You will receive a one off annual discount on your electric bill between October and March every year.
You should receive a letter by the end of December to confirm your eligibility. If you are low income, you should contact your energy supplier who can tell you if you qualify.
Cold Weather payment
You can receive a small payment to help cover extra heating costs in very cold weather.
You will receive this payment every time the temperature in your area drops below zero degrees Celsius for seven days in a row or more between November and March.
You qualify for this payment if you receive any of the benefits listed below:
- Pension credit
- Income support
- Income based jobseeker’s allowance
- Income related employment and support allowance
- Universal credit
- Support for mortgage interest
Winter Fuel payment
The Winter fuel payment is an annual one off payment to help you pay for heating during the winter. Check to see if you are eligible for the winter fuel payment.
Citizens Advice Southend
Citizens Advice can help residents to increase their income, apply for energy grants, understand their energy bills and manage their finances or fuel debt.
To speak to the Southend on Sea branch, call 03444 770 808.
Join the Priority Service Register
If you claim a pension, or you have an issue with your health, you can join the register of your energy supplier. Most energy companies offer a range of free services to customers on this register:
- A gas appliance safety check
- Quarterly meter readings
- Help moving an energy meter if it is in a difficult position
- A personal password for staff to use every time they call at the person’s home, to confirm they are genuine
- Bills sent to a friend or family member on their behalf
- Bills supplied in different accessible formats
You can be added to the register by contacting your energy supplier. Check the Priority Services Register.